Monday, March 26, 2012

Salesmanship – Art of Cross selling

A keen immigrant Indian lad applied for a salesman's job at London 's premier downtown department store. In fact, it was the biggest store in the world - you could get anything there.

The boss asked him, "Have you ever been a salesman before?" "Yes sir, I was a salesman in India ", replied the lad. The boss liked the cut of him and said, "You can start tomorrow and I'll come and see you."

· The day was long and arduous for the young man, but he got through it.

· And finally 6:00 PM came around.

· The boss duly fronted up and asked, "How many sales did you make today?"

· "Sir, Just ONE sale." said the young salesman.

· "Only one sale?" blurted the boss.

· "No! No! You see here, most of my staff make 20 or 30 sales a day.

· "If you want to keep this job, you'd better be doing better than just one sale.

· By the way "How much was the sale worth?"

· = 93300534.00 pounds" said the young man.

· "What"," How did you manage that?" asked the flabbergasted boss.

· "Well", said the salesman,

· "This man came in and I sold him a small fish hook, then a medium hook and finally a really large hook.

· Then I sell him new fishing rod and some fishing gear.

· Then I asked him where he was going fishing and he said down the coast.

· So I told him he'd be needing a boat, so I took him down to the boat department and sold him that twenty-foot schooner with the twin engines.

· Then he said his Volkswagen probably wouldn't be able to pull it, so I took him to our automotive department and sold him that new Deluxe

· 4X4 Blazer.

· I then asked him where he'll be staying, and since he had no accommodation, I took him to camping department and sold him one of those new igloo 6-sleeper camper tents.

· Then the guy said, while we're at it, I should throw in about $100 worth of groceries and two cases of beer.

· The boss took two steps back and asked in astonishment, "You sold all that to a guy who came in for a fish hook!!"



"No" answered the salesman, "he came in to buy a headache relief tablet and I said to him, "Sir, fishing is best remedy for headache "



Boss - "You sit in my chair.......

No comments:

Post a Comment